On Fri, Apr 08, 2005 at 05:33:29PM -0400, Gene Willacker wrote:

> Since we (Housing & Food Services) are in so many buildings, I monitor
> several switches across campus to help diagnose connectivity problems.
> Has the ability to ping some building switches been disabled from
> outside those buildings? They went down (from my point of view) about
> 1:00pm today.
>
> Thanks, Gene
>
> --- 35.8.89.160 ping statistics ---
> 1 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 0ms
>
> --- 35.8.78.249 ping statistics ---
> 1 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 0ms
>
> --- 35.8.90.241 ping statistics ---
> 1 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 0ms
>
> --- 35.8.236.250 ping statistics ---
> 1 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 0ms
>
> --- 35.8.81.243 ping statistics ---
> 1 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 0ms

We were advised of security issues with Cisco switches last week,
particularly with the 2900 and 3500 series switches.  For now, we have
disabled all but a very limited network access to these switches.

I will be assigning new IP addresses to these switches over the next
few weeks, after which you will be able to ping them on their new addresses.

Doug

--

Doug Nelson, Network Manager             |  [log in to unmask]
Academic Computing and Network Services  |  Ph: (517) 353-2980