Did you ever try my suggestion below, using the UNC?

In addition, I did some testing of ftp and found that Word can indeed open files from AFS via ftp and then save them back to AFS, just by using the "ftp://..." syntax in Word's Open dialog. I did have trouble getting it to open directly to my own folder; it wouldn't accept the full "ftp:[log in to unmask]" form of the address and when I used "ftp://afs.msu.edu" it opened to the root.  You can let it open to the root and then browse from there to your private space, or you can just use the form ftp://afs.msu.edu/msu/user/n/e/netid to get to it directly.

Either this or the UNC method should take care of your students.

>Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 14:52:39 -0400
>To: [log in to unmask]
>From: Chris Wolf <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: [MSUNAG] Group Policy and mapping to AFS space question
>
>How about File, Open, \\afs\homes, Type in ID and password, and then select file to open.  Edit the file and Save.
>Are you blocking some part of that?
>
>At 02:41 PM 4/19/2005, Bosman, Don wrote:
>>We do permit that, but while Word can open documents in the AFS space, it can't save the changed document. The Save option is grayed out.
>>
>>Thanks for the suggestion.

--Chris
Chris Wolf                    Computer Service Manager
Agricultural Economics        [log in to unmask]
Michigan State University     517 353-5017