From: MSU Network Administrators Group [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Richard Wiggins
Sent: Wednesday, March 09, 2005 12:02 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [MSUNAG] dell education pricing vs home/small bus

Every summer when I speak to parents of incoming freshmen at
Orientation, I tell them that buying computers these days is like
buying an airlne ticket:  the same commodity can be priced at widely
varying prices depending on when you buy it, via what channel, and
with what special discount code.

Until last year, about 50% of incoming freshman class students bought
laptops.  I see that percentage going up dramatically from here on.
Laptops under $1000 are common now, and ultraportables and tablets are
becoming more affordable.  The warranty becomes a key variable.  I had
the display on an MSU-owned IBM Thinkpad give out a while ago, and it
was repaired for free under its three year warranty.  I'm sure the
cost of repair would have been prohibitive if it hadn't been under
warranty.  Laptops see a lot of abuse.  The warranty is important.

I believe for not much more money you can extend a Dell warranty to 4
years.  My joke to parents is to get the 4 year warranty, and tell
your child they must finish college before the warranty on the laptop
expires.

/rich