Reminder: power will be shut down in the Computer Center machine room
on Saturday; many core services will be down until 9:00 a.m.  From
Computing.msu.edu:

Computer Center Power Upgrade Rescheduled for March 5

On Saturday, March 5, 2005, Physical Plant will make much-needed
improvements to electrical systems in the Computer Center machine
room. This will be phase one of such improvements. These changes will
require a total shutdown of electrical service. Customers should
anticipate that many of the university's core computing services
(mail.msu.edu, www.msu.edu, magic.msu.edu, afs.msu.edu, etc.) will be
unavailable from 3:00 a.m. until 9:00 a.m.

We anticipate that Internet and campus network access will remain
online during this outage. Barring any unforeseen problems, all
mission-critical services should be restored by 9:00 a.m.

Electrical distribution in the Computer Center machine room is
antiquated, with some cables and connectors dating back 40 years to
our earliest mainframe. As a result, ACNS will make further
improvements to Computer Center electrical systems in the future.
These upgrades will necessitate further outages; we will, of course,
try to minimize the frequency, duration, and impact of these outages.

Note that March 5 is the first Saturday of Spring Break.

For more information, please see:

http://techbase.msu.edu/viewpathfinder.asp?id=2947

Note that these improvements were originally scheduled for December
29, 2004, but had to be postponed due to an unrelated outage at the
Power Plant.