Wow, my tiny little home network is getting more professional
attention than its had in its 10+ years of existence!

-- It's always on PCs.  All computers think they belong to a workgroup
named Mariners.

-- The printer connected to Basement is almost always turned off.  The
printer on Kitchen, and Kitchen computer, are almost always turned on.

-- Yup, they are HP printers.

-- Kitchen is always reachable via its Wi-Fi connection.  Basement is
wired into the hub, always on, always reachable

-- Laptop is single user and so is Basement

-- After the default printer has changed to Basement, Laptop shows the
Kitchen printer online as well as the Basement one, even though the
Basement printer is powered down.   If I print to Kitchen printer or
switch default, it never fails, whether Kitchen is in Standby or not.
Only time Kitchen printer appears offline is when Kitchen computer is
powered down.

-- No third party nuthin.

-- Pure XP network, no WIn 2000.

-- Yes, the printers in question are both HPs   (very good, Carnak!)

Thanks, all!  I'm sure you have bigger fish to fry, but this is a fun puzzle...

/rich