A department really has no authority to write their own "AUP" and neither
would the type of agreement proposed below be appropriate. In the case that
a user is having problems with their machine, they may give permission for
you to access appropriate logs, settings, etc; however, browsing through
their private files, emails, etc is strictly prohibited and would be a
violation of the AUP. It is, however, very appropriate for a department (or
other unit) to issue a statement of policy concerning compliance with the
AUP. For instance, a departmental chair (as the local system sponsor) may
ban office personnel from using "chat" during business hours, because they
are chatting rather than doing their jobs. That doesn't mean, however, that
the IT staff can go in and search folders to see if a user has inappropriate
files without proper authorization.

There may be certain specifications (for business reasons) put on office
computers, for example it may be required that each computer have an
antivirus program set to automatically update, have a firewall in place, be
set for an automatic Windows update, etc. In the case of faculty computers
however, it is very likely that the faculty member is the system sponsor
(ie: purchased their computer from grant money, etc) in which case they hold
that particular authority, not the department. That faculty member may
request that their computer be set up to be accessed remotely or they may be
asked if they will allow it, but it is inappropriate for IT to force the
matter on them. Guidelines and/or suggestions, will go a long ways toward
remedying this situation.

As far as desktop administration software, it does have legitimate uses and
in and of itself is not a violation of the AUP. In many cases, I don't think
that it is being used as it should be, but that is because of what is being
done with it, not because of the application itself. When it comes down to
it, IT support and proper usage is a matter of integrety more than anything
else.

If you have any questions about this or any other AUP matter, please feel
free to call me and I will be happy to answer any questions you might have.

Randall J. Hall

MSU Network Acceptable Use Compliance

Academic Computing and Network Services

409 Computer Center