From: Paul Donahue [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tuesday, March 01, 2005 8:18 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [MSUNAG] hardware firewall recommendations

Andrew,

I would have to agree with Dennis on this one. I am a huge fan of the
NetScreen product line. Here at VMC we deployed 2 NetScreen 500's running in
HA mode. This gives us an effective firewall up to 700Mbps, and VPN
throughput at around 250Mbps. It is a very nice product however the model we
use is significantly more expensive than your department is looking to pay
for. The lower end models are much more affordable. The key to picking the
right one is in the details Dennis mentioned.

When we first started planning ours we worked with Joe Budzyn at ACNS who
was very helpful in helping us design our security plan. There are many
options and configuration possibilities with the NetScreen product many of
which are still a mystery to me.

I hope this helps.

Paul Donahue
Network/Security Manager/Programmer
CVM Information Technology Center
A227 VMC, Michigan State University
Phone:  353-5551   Fax:  432-2937

Mccormack, Andrew wrote:
> I have about 8 servers in my department that I want to protect using a
> hardware firewall.   The department needs a hardware firewall priced
between
> 700-1000, maybe a little more.
>
> Does anyone use a hardware firewall?  Which ones do you recommend?

Any other criteria other than price?  i.e. number of interfaces, interface
speed, total throughput, stateful inspection, bridging/routing
  modes, etc.

Ultimately all firewalls are software, but for an "appliance" based
firewall, I like Juniper's Netscreen products.  They have enterprise
features at a reasonable cost (in comparison to others).  For GUI users, the
administration interface is fairly intuitive and easy to use.  I prefer the
CLI, which works reasonably well.

dpk