  From: MSU Network Administrators Group [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On
Behalf Of Linda Losik
  Sent: Tuesday, March 29, 2005 4:43 PM
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Subject: Re: [MSUNAG] Virtual Network Computing

  As a member of the AUP rewrite committee, here are some thoughts.

  If the end user agrees to allow you to access the desktop, you will be
able to access the desktop and only the desktop. You can only access what
you are given permission to access, and only enough that will allow the
current technical issue to be resolved. And you cannot access anything else
without the user's permission.  This means that the user should not have to
look for the color change from blue to green.  The user should know
immediately when IT logs on and logs off.  The user should be able to
terminate the process at any time.

  Under the current AUP and upcoming Statement of Acceptable Use, accessing
private files, emails, logs, etc. are still inaccessible to IT.  The only
time IT is allowed to access systems logs and/or files is either having
written approval from the Vice-Provost or by responding to a search warrant.
The right to privacy is still paramount within both documents.  For
troubleshooting, the process has been described as "peeling an onion" on
order to preserve privacy.

  I would have real concerns as to whether this app is approved by either
the AUP or the SAU.  Perhaps others of the rewrite committee would care to
address this as well

  Linda Losik

  Health Information Technology