From Mark Scott, the Microsoft consultant who worked with a number of
MSU IT folks last year.

Out of curiosity, does this affect anyone at MSU?  I know we didn't
attempt this centrally.

/rich
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Mark Scott (MCS) <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 10:57:29 -0800
Subject: Premier - MARCH REMINDER REGARDING BLOCKING SP2 DOWNLOADS VIA AU AND WU
To: [log in to unmask], Scott Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Cc: Cynthia Hanna <[log in to unmask]>, Ed Schmidt
<[log in to unmask]>, Jeff Nuckolls <[log in to unmask]>

Rich and Scott,

FYI...   Not sure if you folks "blocked" XPSP2 or not?   But here is an
informational message about it...

Let me know if you have ANY questions....

-Mark

The intent of this alert is to provide you with another reminder about
the upcoming deadline around the date on which Automatic Updates (AU)
and Windows Update (WU) will deliver Windows XP SP2 regardless of the
presence of the blocking mechanism.

Based on customer feedback, we provided the ability to temporarily block
the delivery of Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) via Automatic Update
(AU) and Windows Update (WU) in August 2004, so that our customers can
complete their testing and implementation of their deployment mechanism
for SP2.

Beginning 12 April 2005 this temporarily blocking mechanism will expire
and systems with Automatic Update enabled or interactively download SP2
via Windows Update will begin receiving SP2. Note that this is also the
scheduled day for the monthly cumulative release of security updates.
This deadline is now less than one month away.

We strongly encourage customers to take the appropriate steps to
implement SP2 deployment decisions by that time.

For information and guidance about this temporary blocking mechanism,
please visit:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/sp2aumng.
mspx.

If you have any questions regarding this alert please contact your
Technical Account Manager or Application Development Consultant.

Thank you,
Microsoft PSS Security Team