The statement I quoted is not only about mail or, if it is, it isn't written very well.  It clearly states that it is about "information content...stored" [for our purposes, on a computer].  This could include mail, but it also includes other things such as documents, reports, data, etc. that an employee has prepared for the department as part of his or her job.  Then the statement compares this to two things.  The first is communications and the second is written and graphic content.  So the way I read it is that email stored on a computer will have the same privacy as traditional mail, and that other content (such as the reports etc. that I mention) will have the same privacy as if they were in the employee's file drawer.  This, of course, means that the employer can go and get them at any time without approval from the employee.