From: Troy Murray [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, February 02, 2005 3:36 PM
To: Thomas P. Carter
Subject: Re: [MSUNAG] mail.msu.edu

I have run into this program with Outlook 2003 before and had to
change the outgoing SMTP port to 465.  Later, then I was connected to
the MSU network, I had to change it back from 465 to 25 as it stopped
sending again.  I've found that, depending on the day, I have to
change this outgoing port number.

-t

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 13:24:23 -0500, Thomas P. Carter
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> I wrestled with this the other day, but on an IMAP link with Outlook
> 2003. The port required for sending is now 465 instead of the normal
25.

> I suspect they recently changed this port number and broke the user's
> connection, but I have no hard evidence for this. Making this change
> fixed it. POP clients are now required to use port 465 (and SSL) for
> outgoing mail also, evidently.
>
> Thomas P. Carter, Ph.D.
> Department of Chemistry
> Michigan State University