On Monday 21 February 2005 13:16, Laurence Bates wrote:
> Does anyone know of a way to create a dns record that points to a folder on
> a web server rather than the root directory.  I get a lot of requests for
> dns names like http://mysite.educ.msu.edu that point to something like
> http://www.educ.msu.edu/mysite   I usually claim that it is not possible
> but perhaps I am missing something.  What do other people do with such
> requests?

If I get your question right, what you are asking for is the concept
of virtual hosts.  I have a server, polisci.msu.edu which has at least
three such hosts on it.  That is set up in the httpd.conf file in Apache.

With that, you can have any number of hosts that all point back to
various places in the real machine.  If you need an example of how
to do the config I can send you mine.  I'm running Apache 1.3.

--STeve Andre'
Political Science