Hi,

I thought this article was an interesting reminder that other
institutions face issues relating to privacy of Social Security numbers
and that in the past these numbers were not treated as being private.

http://newshound.de.siu.edu/spring05/stories/storyReader$272

The gist of the story is that students at Southern Illinois University
are being given the opportunity to pay $15 to have new student ID cards
issued that don't bare their SSN.  The computer system that is based on
using SSN for indexing students was purchased in the 1970's and isn't
planned to be replaced until after the current support contract ends in
2009.

I'll skip adding my 2 cents about SSN and privacy.

Cheers,
Tom