It appears that the MSU Computer Store also stores at least some Social Security numbers of customers. Go to http://cstore.msu.edu/scripts/cstore/onlineorders2/login.asp and log on. Say "Yes" to your customer number and then on the next screen look at the "MSU ID" field.

For me, this shows my Social Security number.  For someone else in my office who is a newer employee (6.5 years here) it shows his ZPid.  Mine behaves the same regardless of what computer I log on from, so I know this is not stored in a cookie.  Several times I have changed this number to my ZPid and submitted an order, only to find my SSN back in that field the next time I ordered.

I agree that MSU has not done enough to remove Social Security numbers.  I hope this incident is enough to now make this a priority.

At 08:49 AM 2/2/2005, Cheryl Akers wrote:
>I agree we should insist that SS#'s be removed from databases where they
>are not needed.

>>From: "Lee Duynslager" <[log in to unmask]>
>>To: <[log in to unmask]>
>>Subject: RE: [MSUNAG] Notice regarding possible exposure of
>>personal              information
>>Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 08:38:28 -0500
>>        SUBJ_HAS_SPACES autolearn=disabled version=3.0.2
>>
>>Cheryl:
>>
>>Thank you....
>>
>>That was my next question, and I want my SSN removed from all of the systems
>>excepting the HR system where they need it for Taxation and for Social
>>Security withholding.
>>
>>Lee
>>
>>Lee Duynslager
>>Information Technologist
>>Integrated Plant Systems
>>Michigan State University
>>
>>(517) 432-5296

--Chris
Chris Wolf                    Computer Service Manager
Agricultural Economics        [log in to unmask]
Michigan State University     517 353-5017