Hi, everyone!

This is more of a web server thing, but I figure some people are maintaining
web servers too, so...

Is anyone else running phpBB?
I've been noticing some odd activity that I think may be a spamming exploit
in the profile.php, but I wanted to see if there is anyone else noticing
people setting up bogus accounts on forums.  The mail from their account
creation bounces back and most of them are less than tasteful account names.

In this I've found that if the profile.php within phpBB cannot find URL
variables then it looks for form variables, which in turn makes it very
vulnerable to XSS (Cross Site Scripting) attacks.  I haven't found any
particular exploits or known vulnerabilities that do exactly what I'm seeing
which is why I think it may be a form of spam exploit.  Or just naughty
people trying to use my server to infect people using the avatar exploit
that also exists in profile.php.

Anyway, any one else seeing odd mail bounce backs from bogus accounts or
profile.php showing up in the logs with no URL variables attached?

Missy Koos
Webmistress & Database Developer
Student Affairs & Services
Michigan State University