Javier Ornelas writes:

> Periodically, I receive calls from our users (on our Exchange Server)
> who say that Mail.msu.edu users are trying to e-mail them, but are
> receiving errors such as:

> SMTP error from remote mailer after initial connection:
> host ht.msu.edu [35.9.86.5]: 554 <sys09.mail.msu.edu[35.9.75.109]>:
> Client host rejected: too many connections
>
> Can someone help shed some light on what is causing these errors?  Is
> there something I need to change on our Exchange Server?  As I said, it
> is only periodically.  Most of the time, there is no problem.

If I'm reading this correctly, the mail server for ht.msu.edu is rejecting
the incoming mail with a permanent error (code 554; 5xx codes indicate
permanent errors) for what should be a transient condition.  Your mail
server should be returning a 4xx (temporary error) code, rather than a
5xx code.  That would cause the sending mail system to retry the message,
and (hopefully) eventually get through.

Doug

Doug Nelson, Network Manager             |  [log in to unmask]
Academic Computing and Network Services  |  Ph: (517) 353-2980
Michigan State University                |  http://www.msu.edu/~nelson/