Software like that should have a log that reports on the success or failure of each transaction, which should show you more info, hopefully the exact error message, about what goes wrong with the mailings to MSU.  That's what I would try to find first, in order to identify the problem that's occurring.

Another thought--what are you using as the "From" address on these messages?  I seem to remember that MSU won't accept messages from an invalid msu.edu address, such as [log in to unmask] or [log in to unmask], whereas other servers almost certainly would accept them.