I signed up for ACD's MSU DSL service at the beginning of this semester.
On my initial call I was told that because of my distance ( 12606 feet
according to DSLreports.com) I would be able to get about 7 mbits down
and 1 mbit up, which I was very excited about. This data matches up
perfectly with the graph their have on their website here:
http://www.acd.net/dsl/MSUresidentialdslSpecial.htm

After install (which went relatively well) the actual speeds I was
getting were around 1.5 mbits down and 256 kbits up. After numerous
calls I was told that it was just a matter of whether I got a good line
or not. I guess I didn't and they weren't going to change it, so I am 4
months into a 1 year contract with speeds that aren't even close to what
they initially told me.

The one good thing that I still had hope in was that being directly
connected to MSUs network the latency would be low, making stuff like
remote administration to on campus machines easier. Wrong again. My
connection is so bad that I get about a 40-50ms response time just to a
computer on campus. In my case cable modem service from Comcast would be
faster, less latent, and with they deals they have now it would be cheaper.

Yes, I know that most of this is not ACD's fault because they have no
control over the actual lines themselves, but I am just sharing my
experience.

If you have any other questions e-mail me and I will be more than happy
to answer.

Rob Keena

**