 > The one good thing that I still had hope in was that being directly
 > connected to MSUs network the latency would be low, making stuff like
 > remote administration to on campus machines easier. Wrong again. My
 > connection is so bad that I get about a 40-50ms response time just
 > to a computer on campus. In my case cable modem service from Comcast
 > would be faster, less latent, and with they deals they have now it
 > would be cheaper.
 >
 > Yes, I know that most of this is not ACD's fault because they have
 > no control over the actual lines themselves, but I am just sharing
 > my experience.

The line quality is not ACD's fault, and does significantly affect
throughput.  In my neighborhood (closer to 15000' out), we're all
lucky to get 800k down, 400k up, even with the newer technology ACD
is installing today.  In fact, if you're considering DSL service,
it's worth asking the provider to look at a few other customers in
your area to see what rate they're getting.

Latency, however, is a different story.  When I first subscribed to
the ACD service, latency was quite good.  To reduce problems caused by
DoS attacks, ping floods caused by worms, etc, ACD made some changes in
routing, filtering or ???.  Post changes, the latency is as described.
I also find this annoying, working as I do through SSH connections
most of the time.

I'm particularly bitter about DSL throughput, as I was getting nearly
6 MB each direction at the end of the METS era, and after that kind
of service for many years, discovering that the best available today
is so poor, when "broadband" is the big push, was very frustrating.

One advantage of ACD/MSU service is being in the MSU address space.
The cable system can't give you that.

De