Hi Margaret;

I don’t think there’s anything in the MSU AUP, but the MERIT/Michnet AUP is included in the MSU AUP. It has three very specific admonitions.

Use should be consistent with guiding ethical statements and accepted community standards. Use of the Services for malicious, fraudulent, or misrepresentative purposes is not acceptable.

The Services may not be used in ways that violate applicable laws or regulations.

Users must respect the legal protection applied to programs, data, photographs, music, written documents and other material as provided by copyright, trademark, patent, licensure and other proprietary rights mechanisms.

I would say that sharing copyrighted music falls under the third rule; but the courts are still hashing that out, aren’t they?

Good night,

Wendy

Wendy Tate

Network Coordinator