SCOPY.EXE will copy all files and NTFS permissions.  IIRC, this is a Resource Kit utility.  File (and printer) shares you'll need to manually recreate.  I've used Ecora Documenter for Windows to do this.  At CHM, we moved file and print servers to new machines pretty effortlessly.  Ecora documents all shares and associated perms, among other settings.

Margaret
----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Willson, Jim
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Thursday, October 28, 2004 10:35 AM
Subject: [MSUNAG] Copying Data and Permissions Server to Server

We have a Windows 2000 server that we are going to be replacing with a Windows 2003 server with more data storage. There are a LOT of share and folder permissions set on this server. Losing any of that information would be highly problematic. Does anyone know of a good utility that will accurately copy data, including folder and share permissions, from one Windows box to another?

We downloaded a trial version of SecureCopy http://www.scriptlogic.com/eng/products/securecopy/main.asp and it works great, but the cost is ~$1,000, so we are hoping to find something cheaper that will do the job.

Thanks,

Jim Willson
Information Technology Services
Broad College of Business