All,

I did mention this in private comments to Peter.  Just make sure that you
disable NAT, DHCP, and routing before plugging in a routing access point
like this.  Otherwise, you may be causing interference for other network
operations within your building.

Doug

John Valenti wrote:

> Peter,
>
> I had similar problems with a Linksys wireless router. The very bright
> student that works for me figured out that plugging the MSUnet
> connection into one of the regular network ports (instead of special
> port for uplink) made it work as an access point (bridging, I suppose?)
> instead of a router.
>
> Mine was a model WRT54G. It acts as a switch among 4 10/100 ports, plus
> has a port marked "Internet".
>
> Possibly your Motorola would do the same thing....
> -John
>
> Peter J Murray wrote:
>
> > Hello
> >
> > We want to add a wireless access point to our small library at James
> > Madison, and I picked up a Motorola WR850G for around $60.  The WR850G
> > is a router (not just an access point because it's easier to find
> > routers on the shelves).  I'm sure it's just a matter of some sort of
> > configuration, but I want it to function as an access point, that is to
> > pass through DHCP requests to the appropriate MSU resources, get an IP
> > address from MSU's DHCP system.  I shut off NAT and the router's built
> > in DHCP, but no luck.
> >
> > Is it even possible to do this, or do I need to return it for an 'access
> > point'?  You can configure all sorts of things, and turn on RIP v1 and
> > v2 and add routes and what not.  I'm sure I'm just missing something.
> >
> > PM
> > James Madison College

Doug Nelson, Network Manager             |  [log in to unmask]
Academic Computing and Network Services  |  Ph: (517) 353-2980
Michigan State University                |  http://www.msu.edu/~nelson/