MSU operates a central VPN server that will do this for you.  It's documented at:
http://network.msu.edu/public/vpn/

I'm glad you brought this up, because we have run into some problems with MSU's VPN access, especially with Windows 2000 clients (XP works pretty well).  Is anyone else using MSU's VPN, especially with Windows 2000, and would be interested in discussing this on the list?  Thanks.

At 08:34 AM 9/23/2004, Lee Duynslager wrote:
>After Welchia and Blaster, the M.S.U. border router was configured to
>disallow the ports that Microsoft File Sharing Protocol uses.
>
>Has anybody out there set up a VPN server  to allow users that are not on
>campus the ability to use the Microsoft File Sharing protocols from off of
>campus, so that they can access files stored on an on campus server from
>outside of our campus network?
>

>Lee
>
>Lee Duynslager
>Information Technologist
>Integrated Plant Systems
>Michigan State University
>
>(517) 432-5296

--Chris
Chris Wolf                    Computer Service Manager
Agricultural Economics        [log in to unmask]
Michigan State University     517 353-5017