Does the mail.msu.edu use port 465 or 25 for SMTP?  The documentation says
to use 465, but I usually end up using port 25 because you can not send
messages when it is set to 465.   I just setup an IMAP for mail.msu.edu and
had to change STMP port to 25.   You are unable to send if you use 465 in an
IMAP configuration.

If I use pop3, I first need to set SMTP to 25 (secure SSL).  After about
four weeks I need to change it to SMTP 465 (SSL) because for some unknown
reason it will not send on port 25.

These problems have been going on for months.    I am sure several students
will have difficulties setting up mail.msu.edu if they follow the
documentation at help.msu.edu.

Andrew McCormack