From: Richard Wiggins [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, July 08, 2004 9:15 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [MSUNAG] mail.msu.edu Malmail filter

Pete,

As I'm sure you're aware, mail.msu.edu uses a scoring algorithm to
decide whether a given piece of mail appears to be spam.  The mail
system relies on a commonly-used tool, SpamAssassin.  For any given mail
message, you can look at the X- headers to see what attributes of the
mail caused the score to rise above the threshold for declaring the
message spam.

If there is some particular attribute of mail from the Registrar's
instructor mailing system that unduly excites SpamAssassin, we might be
able to work with that office to tweak the mailing.  But we need to see
the X- headers for a message that failed. If you will send me the entire
message including headers, I'll file a problem in our tracking system
and contact RO tech staff.

Lately it seems that NAG has become a buig reporting forum as much as a
discussion forrum.  I'd like to encourage people who think they've found
a bug in a service supported by LC&T to please call or write the
relevant help desk in addition to, or in lieu of, posting to this forum.

/rich