From: MSU Network Administrators Group [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Richard Wiggins
Sent: Friday, July 09, 2004 5:52 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [MSUNAG] Laptops, Wi-Fi, Problems, Troy Murry

I thought about the laser printer possibility but I couldn't imagine how
it'd put out enough RF to nuke the Wi-Fi signal.  But I do know from
tormenting the guy in the next office that when the heating element on my
laser printer goes off, it causes his flourescent lights to flicker.  We put
a meter on it and saw a tremendous spike when it does the re-heat.  Maybe if
a laser printer is on the same circuit as the access point the power draw is
causing the problem?

The energy conservation folks on campus say that older laser printers left
on 24/7 are a huge component of MSU's electric bill.

/rich