From: MSU Network Administrators Group [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On
Behalf Of Richard Wiggins
Sent: Thursday, July 08, 2004 11:12 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [MSUNAG] Laptops, Wi-Fi, Centrino, and Antennas

Yes, but the ham radio operator down the street managed to intrude on
our 900 megahertz conversations constantly, which is what moved us to
2.4G for cordless phones long before we attempted Wi-Fi.  When I
looked up the FCC rules of engagement, hoping to hamstring the ham,
everything I read implied it was the phone's fault, not the ham's.

I also read that leakage from cable modems can interfere with ham
operations, so my secret wish was that I was inflicting megahertz on
him as well.

Anyhow, given that a laptop with built-in wireless seems to survive
Panasonic's excessively-spread spectrum -- and also 'waving the
popcorn --  life is now good.

For us, anyhow.  I wonder if that Panasonic phone knocks out the
neighbor's Wi-Fi?  Ahh, life in the 21st century RF neighborhood.

/rich