Rich Wiggins writes:

> I've been doing Wi-Fi in my home for a couple of years now, with
> generally good results.  However, whenever my wife uses our Panasonic
> 2.4 gigahertz cordless phone, my laptop loses its Wi-Fi link.  The
> microwave oven also causes interference, though usually not enough to
> kill the connection.
>
> I've tried everything.  I've used Linksys, Microsoft, Intel, and
> D-Link Wi-Fi PC cards.  I've changed channels.  I've gone from 802.11b
> to g and back.  I've called Linksys, whose tech support guy laughed
> out loud when I told him I was trying a Panasonic cordless phone with
> Wi-Fi.  (The implication was that Panasonic does not play fairly in
> the 2.4G sandbox.)

This is one of the reasons I have stuck with a 900 MHz cordless phone,
rather than a 2.4 GHz.

Next stop, 802.11a?  The range may be somewhat less, but you will have
more channels and less competition, at least for a while.

Doug

Doug Nelson, Network Manager             |  [log in to unmask]
Academic Computing and Network Services  |  Ph: (517) 353-2980
Michigan State University                |  http://www.msu.edu/~nelson/