Peter,

I believe any client that opens an Access database must have write access
to the folder the Db is in so that it can write to the lockfile, [database
filename].ldb.  This is how Access deals with record locking from multiple
users editing it at the same time.  So I guess that leaving write access to
the folder would be necessary, but that you could apply your permissions to
the .mdb file itself (as opposed to the folder it resides in) and achieve
your desired result.  This should avoid using Access permissions.

PS. I haven't actually tested this theory.

Cheers,

Brian Hoort