From: MSU Network Administrators Group [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Bosman, Don
Sent: Wednesday, June 30, 2004 2:02 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MSUNAG] Wanted: Cat-5 jack with indicator light

I've done a casual search and not found any.
In the library we have a number of faculty and grad student carrels.
They all have netlink connections. Occasionally a faculty member
complains up and down the various chains of pass the complaint that the
carrel connections are not working. We test them and invariably find the
patron has a bad cable or has not registered their notebook or laptop
with the DHCP server. We end up - mutely - on the receiving end of "well
it worked from home so it must be your fault" arguments.

So, I'm seeking Cat-5, or better, jacks with indicator lights showing
when the connection is live. Has anyone seen such a thing?

Thanks.

Don Bosman
Information Technologist
Michigan State University, Libraries