Hello,

Reading your message inspired me to try out the MSU Central VPN access
from home here in Grand Rapids, MI. Using a Comcast cable internet
account, I successfully connected to the VPN, and attached to my AFS
storage space.

The way I understand the VPN is working is it routes anything .msu.edu
through the VPN virtual Ethernet adapter and then anything else, through
your standard Comcast internet access.

I was able to access my afs space via \\cc-pubafs-4.cl.msu.edu, which is
the hostname of the AFS server, which then seems to route the request
through the VPN, instead of just your primary internet connection.

Hope this helps.

Chris Harper
Tech Support
University Relations
Michigan State University
1330 S. Harrison
East Lansing, MI 48823
A Division of University Relations providing the MSU community with
brand-centered, results-oriented, communications solutions