> From: "STeve Andre'" <[log in to unmask]>
> Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 15:02:59 +0000
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: [MSUNAG] Videoconference Problems
>
> On Thursday 03 June 2004 18:55, Kevin Carr wrote:
>> In the words of Emily Litella .... Never mind.
>>
>> The problem with the test I ran with the user in New Mexico (Los Alamos
>> Natl. Lab) turned out to be at his end; the network folks had recently
>> blocked all outbound UDP.  (H.323 conferencing uses quite a few ports
>> actually, both static and dynamically assigned, which makes
>> videoconferencing across a firewall a real nightmare.)  Every other test I
>> have ran has worked as well.
>>
>> I'm still not positive what the problem with the user in Germany was but I
>> doubt it was our equipment or network.
>>
>> Kevin M. Carr
>
> Kevin, if you can find out how they do run h.323 across a firewall, would
> you share it here?  Looking at h.323 scares me, from a firewall viewpoint.
> If I knew how others tackled that, I'd be less nervous about one of my
> people asking for it. ;-)
>
> Thanks,
>
> STeve Andre'
> Political Science

It scares me too.  I don't know the details of how they worked it out but if
I understood correctly they went around the firewall (via an H.323 bridge)
instead of going through the firewall.

I have very little knowledge, and even less experience, on dealing with
H.323 firewall issues, but here is a URL that may get you started:

http://www.teamsolutions.co.uk/tsfirewall.html

That also has a nice list of all the ports used by H.323.

Kevin M. Carr

Systems Administrator
Genomics Technology
  Support Facility