On 3 Jun 2004 at 13:59, Richard Wiggins wrote:

> AOL uses robotic algorithms to determine when it thinks a given
> host is a problem spam source.   We had problems with Pilot boxes
> being blacklisted by AOL because computers on campus got infected
> with spambots that relayed through Pilot.
>
> More recently the issue is AOL thinking mail.msu.edu boxes are
> spam sources because people forward their mail.msu.edu mail to an
> AOL account; AOL sees n% of the mail is spam, and thinks
> mail.msu.edu is the offender.  I'm not sure that that's what
> happened here, though.
>
> If the message isn't sensitive could you forward the entire
> bounced message intact to me?  We'll file a problem and the mail
> team can investigate further.

Well, the affected user sent the same weekly message that AOL
bounced last week and it appears to have have been delivered to
the recipient's AOL account without a peep.

AOL - ick.  And I *wish* they'd stop sending those overpackaged
CDs to my house!  Haven't they figured out by now that I'm a lost
cause?

Kim Geiger
Information Technologist
MSU Broadcasting Services
538 Communication Arts & Sciences Building
East Lansing, MI 48824 - 1212
517-432-9527 x 429