I just tried this and couldn't get it to work the recommended way, but found a workaround.  I dialed in via Merit Global, which is an "off-campus" connection, and ran the VPN client.  I was able to use Windows Explorer to open several shares on my own Windows servers without problems. (It asked for my username and password, which I supplied, and it opened the share.) When I tried \\afs\root or \\afs\wolfc in Windows Explorer, it failed, saying it cannot find \\afs\root (without asking for credentials).

However, opening \\35.9.2.108\root got me to AFS just fine.  That would make it appear to be some sort of problem with WINS, perhaps.

I'm sure ACNS wouldn't recommend that we connect using an IP address, so maybe they can come up with a solution.

At 03:09 PM 6/4/2004, you wrote:
>Is anyone using the VPN successfully from off-campus for access to AFS space?
>
>We haven't been able to get it to work here at the Kellogg Biological Station.   The ACNS helpdesk says to use OpenAFS if we can't get VPN to work.   We can probably do that, but it would be much nicer to use VPN.   That way we'd have a common solution for all computers, and a solution that will also work for people to use from elsewhere to connect to our own file servers (once I have my own VPN concentrator in operation).
>
>No matter what we try, we get "the network path...could not be found".   I've installed the client, made sure the proper host names are in place in the DNS panel, and have pointed to the WINS server at 35.8.2.25.   We've also enabled plain text passwords.
>
>I am not at all an experienced user of VPNs, much less a manager of them, so maybe I'm missing something obvious.   But given the response I got from the ACNS helpdesk, I'm wondering if *anyone* has gotten this to work.
>
>John Gorentz

Chris Wolf           Computer Service Manager
Agricultural Economics          [log in to unmask]
Michigan State University        517 353-5017

"I don't want to be normal.  Who wants to be normal?"
  --David O. Selznick