From: MSU Network Administrators Group [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Gene Willacker
Sent: Monday, May 03, 2004 11:21 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [MSUNAG] Possible Sasser worm variants?

We are also seeing this, and the Symantec tool is not detecting on our
PCs either. The error message we see says, in part, "LSASS.exe
termintaed with code 128."

Gene

On 5/3/2004 11:09 AM, Cameron Ramo Williams wrote:

        Hello fellow NAGers

        I was wondering if anyone here has found evidence of new Sasser
worm
        variants on campus PCs? We have a couple PCs that exhibit the
random
        reboots that make me suspect they have been infected with the
Sasser worm,
        but the removal tools I downloaded from Symantec have been run
repeatedly on
        these PCs in safe mode and have not found any evidence of
Sasser. According
        to Symantec, the removal tools cover the initial Sasser worm and
variants B
        and C. I just wondered if anyone else has found evidence of
Sasser but have
        been unable to get a removal tool to detect it's presence? I
surmise it is
        some new variant that the removal tool is not able to locate and
remove.
        Any others with this experience today?

        Thanks!

        Cameron Williams
        ---
        _______________________________________
        Cameron R. Williams
        Information Technologist
        Center for Global Change and Earth Observations
        Michigan State University
        101 Manly Miles
        East Lansing, MI 48825
        (517) 432-4675