I got a call about 45 minutes ago from one of our people in Africa whose computer works fine until he tries to dial up to the Internet, whereupon it crashes instantaneously with this LSASS.exe error.  I was about to email the Symantec tool to someone else there in Mozambique to give to him.  Now these reports make me wonder if I should bother.  Maybe I need to wait for a newer release?

At 11:21 AM 5/3/2004, Gene Willacker wrote:
>We are also seeing this, and the Symantec tool is not detecting on our PCs either. The error message we see says, in part, "LSASS.exe termintaed with code 128."
>
>Gene
>
>On 5/3/2004 11:09 AM, Cameron Ramo Williams wrote:
>>Hello fellow NAGers
>>
>>I was wondering if anyone here has found evidence of new Sasser worm
>>variants on campus PCs? We have a couple PCs that exhibit the random
>>reboots that make me suspect they have been infected with the Sasser worm,
>>but the removal tools I downloaded from Symantec have been run repeatedly on
>>these PCs in safe mode and have not found any evidence of Sasser. According
>>to Symantec, the removal tools cover the initial Sasser worm and variants B
>>and C. I just wondered if anyone else has found evidence of Sasser but have
>>been unable to get a removal tool to detect it's presence? I surmise it is
>>some new variant that the removal tool is not able to locate and remove.
>>Any others with this experience today?
>>
>>Thanks!
>>
>>Cameron Williams
>>---
>>_______________________________________
>>Cameron R. Williams
>>Information Technologist
>>Center for Global Change and Earth Observations
>>Michigan State University
>>101 Manly Miles
>>East Lansing, MI 48825
>>(517) 432-4675
>><mailto:[log in to unmask]>[log in to unmask]
>
>--
>Gene Willacker
>Systems Analyst
>H&FS Systems Operations Group
>Michigan State University
>Food Stores Building
>East Lansing, MI 48824
>1-517-353-1691

--Chris
Chris Wolf                    Computer Service Manager
Agricultural Economics        [log in to unmask]
Michigan State University     517 353-5017