Hmmm.  How can you effectively make a policy for what ports
to block or pass?

It seems to me that this is a bad idea.  Today with what seems to
be "the crawling horror of the week" in the Windows world, what
you do today might not be good tomorrow.  Because of this I
can't see making a policy as a good thing.  You need to be able
to turn on a dime when it comes to security matters.  Having a
committee make that kind of decision just feels dangerous.  A
policy on the more general concept of security and what you're
trying to accomplish does make sense to me, but the gritty
details are best left dynamic.

In my experience passwords are a really hard thing to deal with.
Make drastic pw policies and you get people pasting them on
Post It notes on their monitors.  A really strange password that
is changed once a year or two is a better password than something
as simple as the user can get away with, it seems to me.  Getting
them do make good passwords is an interesting challenge.

--STeve Andre'
Political Science