If I recall correctly, the mail.msu.edu servers only permit the authentication
over the SMTP SSL port (port 465), and not over the standard SMTP port (25).
So unless ColdFusion either supports SSL to port 465, or has a built-in SMTP
server, it would appear that you need to set up your own SMTP server.

Doug

> The ColdFusion Server settings for mail allow specifying a username/password for authentication, in the form username:[log in to unmask]  I've done this, and told the server to verify the connection, and it says that the verification is successful.  However, when I try to send using <cfmail>, it puts the message "Authentication failed" in the log.  When I use pilot.msu.edu as the server, the <cfmail> works fine.
>
> I was really trying to avoid setting up my own mail server. I guess that must be what everyone else is doing.
>
> At 05:17 PM 3/15/2004, Bryan Murphy wrote:
> >I believe the problem is that they are now requiring authentication to
> >send.  Macromedia had been saying that MX6.1 would allow have a
> >username/password param in the cfmail tag however after looking at it
> >(http://livedocs.macromedia.com/coldfusion/6/CFML_Reference/Tags-pt2.htm) it doesn't look like it made it.  Hopefully they will get to it in
> >ColdFusion 7! :)
> >
> >I have heard that a work around works but have not tested.
> >
> >Wrap your cfmail tags inside of cfpop tags that authenticate to the mail
> >server.  Let me know your results either way.
> >
> >If that seems messy I would recommend setting up a mail server with the
> >specific intent of fielding cfmail requests.

> >Bryan Murphy
> >GuardianLogic

Doug Nelson, Network Manager             |  [log in to unmask]
Academic Computing and Network Services  |  Ph: (517) 353-2980
Michigan State University                |  http://www.msu.edu/~nelson/