> Is it really a good idea to list all of the IP address, host files, and the
> entire MSU network layout on a public website (http://network.msu.edu/)?
> With the virus going around, anyone could program a virus to attack a
> certain computer.  Even an outside hacker could just focus his attack to a
> specific machine.   I can see no logical reason for this information to be
> available to the public.

Actually, I have considered restricting this information, although probably
allowing access for any valid MSU NetID.  I haven't restricted it so far,
partly because I do not have the necessary authentication mechanisms in
place on that web server, and also because I have not seen evidence that
the information is being abused by hackers.  I suppose there's no way to
know that for sure, but as others have pointed out, hackers have other
ways to find information about MSU computer systems, and many are more
accurate and ubiquitous than perusing the hosts files on the web.

Doug

Doug Nelson, Network Manager             |  [log in to unmask]
Academic Computing and Network Services  |  Ph: (517) 353-2980
Michigan State University                |  http://www.msu.edu/~nelson/