/home/zik> telnet mail.msu.edu smtp
Trying 35.9.75.123...
Connected to mail.msu.edu.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 sys23.mail.msu.edu ESMTP Exim 4.24 Wed, 24 Mar 2004 14:12:34 -0500
ehlo foo
250-sys23.mail.msu.edu Hello hardy.cl.msu.edu [35.8.3.246]
250-SIZE 52428800
250-PIPELINING
250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN
250-STARTTLS
250 HELP
mail from: [log in to unmask]
250 OK
rcpt to: [log in to unmask]
550 unknown user
rcpt to: [log in to unmask]
550 unknown user
rcpt to: [log in to unmask],[log in to unmask]
501 [log in to unmask],[log in to unmask]: malformed address: ,[log in to unmask] may not
follow [log in to unmask]
rcpt to: [log in to unmask]
250 Accepted
data
354 Enter message, ending with "." on a line by itself
Subject: foo

test
.
250 OK id=1B6DrC-0004kF-96
quit
221 sys23.mail.msu.edu closing connection
Connection closed by foreign host.

This test came through ok, even though there were previous lines with
unknown users.  I did a similar test with Mozilla and it refuses to
send the message.  Looks to me like a client feature.  Not terribly
friendly though that it won't tell you which address failed.

Note, this is one method of finding which address is bad.

I believe the difference in behavior here is that Pilot would accept
mail for accounts that had not yet been activated.

--
Ed Symanzik
MSU Mail Team