Office 2000 has a feature they call "install point". Basically it copies
all the files to a network drive and adds the license code #.

You can then install a workstation from the install point. If the
workstation needs more files in the future, theoretically it will look
back at the install point. Or if the files in the install point are
patched (SR1a, SP3, ....) the workstation can be tweaked to pull the
patched files from the install point.

That's the way it should work, but my install point is stuck somewhere
between SR1a and SP3. SR1a seemed to load OK. It took several hours, but
SP3 said it loaded successfully. I did a client install at that point,
and OfficeUpdates says that the client doesn't have SP3. If I try to
re-patch with SP3, it says it is already installed.

Most of my clients were installed from the network. Once you do that,
you can't load SP3 directly on the client. And now if the clients want
to add a new file, they say the install point is the wrong version. Half
the time, this also messes up the office apps, so none of them will run
(an infinite loop of trying to add files, wrong version, ...). Office
needs to be manually removed from the system - Microsoft even has a
utility for this: eraser2k.   :-)

The above events transpired over the last year. A new, very bright,
student started working for me recently. I asked him to create a patched
up install point. He ran into the same problem.

My question: has anybody got this to work?

Or maybe: if I gave the evil empire $2000 for Office 2003 licenses would
I be happier?

thanks for whatever advice
-John