Chris,

Outlook and/or Outlook Express had a famous bug that allowed messages
showing in the preview pane to execute HTML code (probably using IE). A
patch was released a long time ago. Now that I think about this more,
seems like the bug was discovered two or three times in Outlook.

If your systems are patched with the critical/security patches from
Windows updates, I would say they are probably OK with respect to
viewing messages. It might be a good idea to also run OfficeUpdates and
see what that says. For instance, I'm using Office 2000 + SR1a. None of
the security scans I've run (HFnetchkPro, MBSA) indicate that Outlook is
vulnerable.

As research backing this up, I think Don was referring to the Phatbot
virus, which Symantec writes up here:
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.hllw.polybot.html
Symantec doesn't mention Outlook as a vector, but does list three other
MS security notices, all of which should have been handled by
WindowsUpdates.

But I would also say that Outlook is a security nightmare and should be
avoided. Unfortunately I still have about 25 faculty/staff that use it.
I've tried to talk them into something else, but have only had a few
successful conversions.

-John