The ColdFusion Server settings for mail allow specifying a username/password for authentication, in the form username:[log in to unmask]  I've done this, and told the server to verify the connection, and it says that the verification is successful.  However, when I try to send using <cfmail>, it puts the message "Authentication failed" in the log.  When I use pilot.msu.edu as the server, the <cfmail> works fine.

I was really trying to avoid setting up my own mail server. I guess that must be what everyone else is doing.