I believe we have seen this happen when sending from an msu.edu address to an MSU address whose owner has not converted to Pilot and is autoforwarding from Pilot to AOL.  In this case, it's actually the pilot.msu.edu server that AOL is blocking, not the msu.edu server.  Could that be the case you are dealing with?  (You didn't paste enough of the error that I could see that.)

At 10:30 AM 2/24/2004, Oscar Castaņeda wrote:
>I don't know if this is old business or not, but I thought it would be
>worth to ask.
>
>I noticed that emails sent from an @msu.edu address to an @aol.com
>address are bounced, with this message as part of the header:
>
>  ----- Transcript of session follows -----
>... while talking to mailin-02.mx.aol.com.:
><<< 554-(RLY:B1)  The information presently available to AOL indicates this
><<< 554-server is generating high volumes of member complaints from AOL's
><<< 554-member base.  Based on AOL's Unsolicited Bulk E-mail policy at
><<< 554-http://www.aol.com/info/bulkemail.html AOL may not accept further
><<< 554-e-mail transactions from this server or domain.  For more
>information,
><<< 554 please visit http://postmaster.info.aol.com.
>
>Is there anything to do about it? Or we just get used to not sending
>emails to folks affiliated with AOL.
>

>--
>Oscar Castaneda
>Center for Global Change and Earth Observations
>Michigan State University

--Chris
Chris Wolf                    Computer Service Manager
Agricultural Economics        [log in to unmask]
Michigan State University     517 353-5017