Jeff Bowes writes:

> At this point I am blocking access to most ports on PCs in my Windows
> domain from sources outside of a short list of allowed IP ranges.  These
> IP ranges basically consist of Physics and Astronomy "owned" static and
> DHCP addresses.  To help outside users access the domain from a source
> outside the allowed range I run a VPN server of my own, but I've found
> that the VPN solution provided by Microsoft is sometimes not as reliable
> as I'd like.
>
> It would be helpful for me if you were to let us know the range of
> addresses that are assigned by the central VPN server so I can allow
> them through my IPSec policies.  This way I can give my VPN users the
> option of using the central solution when it goes public.
>
> It seemed apparent from discussions at the last NAG meeting that other
> folks on campus are firewalling or otherwise blocking ports (or planning
> to do so soon) to machines in their specific departments, and they would
> also find this information helpful.
>
> If this information is already publicly available somewhere then feel
> free to find me and slap me at your earliest convenience.

No, we haven't published this yet.  I should put that on the VPN information
pages.  The VPN service will use IP's in the range 35.12.64.0 through
35.12.95.255.  I'm sure we won't use all of those IP's, but I have reserved
them for the VPN service.

Doug

Doug Nelson                     [log in to unmask]
Network Manager                 Ph: (517) 353-2980
Computer Laboratory             http://www.msu.edu/~nelson/
Michigan State University