> Is anyone considering going with a BSD based system?  FreeBSD isn't
> based on any specific company so it would be immune from something like
> RedHat is pulling.  Its also secure, stable, fast and has a Linux
> compatibility library.  OpenBSD is another great OS and is (In many =
> people's
> opinion) the most secure in existence.
>
> For those who aren't willing to go to a non-Linux system, what about
> Debian?  I just cant see paying for something that has always been, =
> and should always be, free.

We have been using FreeBSD for years now for our core network services,
and I have been happy with it.  I expect to continue using FreeBSD for
the foreseeable future for my services.

FreeBSD has also been used by other groups within the Computer
Laboratory.  It was the initial choice and current production O/S for
the new mail.msu.edu system, although they are switching to SuSE Linux
9.0 for their next upgrade (take a look at
"http://project.mail.msu.edu/timeline.html").

Doug

Doug Nelson                     [log in to unmask]
Network Manager                 Ph: (517) 353-2980
Computer Laboratory             http://www.msu.edu/~nelson/
Michigan State University