I'll heartily endorse OpenBSD and FreeBSD as excellent choices.
I've been running OpenBSD for four years now, both in server
applications and as my main machine (ThinkPad laptop).

OpenBSD doesn't have as many packages (pre-compiled
programs) as FreeBSD does, but there are still a lot of things
ready to work, and should not be thought of as a "server only"
OS.  FreeBSD's support of things is really very good, running
neck-and-neck with support of hardware when compared with
Linux.

Not wanting to start a flame fest, I've always preferred the much
tighter integration of the kernel and user-land software that the
BSD's do, compared to the separation of the kernel and user-land
items in Linux.  I'll also pit OpenBSD and FreeBSD's documentation
against most Linux doc distributions.

I shouldn't rule out NetBSD either; I haven't used it very much,
but it's certainly a contender, and runs on some 50(!) hardware
platforms now.

So yes, considering the BSD variants makes a lot of sense to me.

--STeve Andre'