From: MSU Network Administrators Group [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of STeve Andre'
Sent: Tuesday, December 02, 2003 3:45 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: firewalls in academic units

On Tuesday 02 December 2003 10:24 am, John Gorentz wrote:
> Thanks for all the information on the status of virus and spam
> filtering at mail.msu.edu!
>
> Another question:   Are any of MSU's academic units running department- or
> building-level hardware firewalls these days, other than what can be done
> with routers?   If so, what are people using and what are they trying to
> accomplish with them?   It's not a very specific question because I don't
> have anything specific in mind yet, at least not anything that I'm willing
> to talk about.   But I'm curious.
>
> John Gorentz

Political Science and LIR in South Kedzie have a firewall based on OpenBSD,
running the pf packet filter.

So far, we're blocking the MS "diseased" file sharing ports, both incoming
and outgoing.  Since our fileservers are inside the firewall and AFS access
is done with OpenAFS, this has worked out well.

Our rules are evolving, but blocking the MS protocols (135, 137, 138, 139,
445, 593) is a good start.

--STeve Andre'  (Political Science)