From: MSU Network Administrators Group [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On
Behalf Of Rich Wiggins
Sent: Wednesday, December 17, 2003 9:07 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MSUNAG] Percent of incoming mail stream infected with viruses

The numbers will probably vary substantially.  We know that a lot of
student computers are infected.  The students are gone, and presumably
students in residence halls turned their computers off or took them
away over break.  A single computer infected with Klez or Sobig could
generate an awful lot of virus mail when plugged into a broadband pipe.

I was surprised to see Sobig.F on the list; I thought that virus had
gone dormant.  My guess is some infected computers have their clocks
set wrong.

Spam is a huge percent of e-mail that comes into MSU mailboxes --
maybe 50-60%.  I bet the rate of virus e-mails varies a lot more
than the rate of spam e-mails, and spammers have no incentive to
mail a virus.

Bottom line: number of virus e-mails as a percent of total will
vary quite a bit depending on calendar and what outbreaks are new.

/rich