Hi NAG members

I'm the sysadmin for the Center for Global Change and Earth Observations
here on campus.  Our Center currently houses approximately 5 Terabytes of
imagery data on two Dell PowerVault NAS systems.  Recently I have been asked
to copy all of this data over to a second NAS array temporarily because our
current array (including the drives in the vaults) needs servicing.  I can't
pull the drives during the servicing and I have only about a 2 week time
window to get the entire dataset copied and verified on the "mirror" system.

What I want to do is basically copy the entire dataset, maintaining current
ownerships/permissions, and verify the copied files are the same as the
originals.  The files are stored on an NTFS file system and the NAS is
running Windows 2000 Advanced Server.  Obviously with this amount of data I
can't stream it all off to tape and reload it given the speed of streaming
to tape and the sheer number of tapes I would have to have on hand to store
close to 5 TB.  I was wondering if anyone here on campus has done similar
copying/verification on a comparable sized datawarehouse, or at least has an
idea of what the best way to proceed in copying it all over to the second
NAS with ownership and permissions intact.  If you have any suggestions, let
me know.

Also, just for my own knowledge here on campus, are there many other
departments here that have datasets of a comparable size?  The Library
perhaps, or the Cyclotron lab?

Thanks for any ideas you can suggest!

Cameron

 ---
Cameron R. Williams
Information Technologist
Center for Global Change and Earth Observations
Michigan State University
101 Manly Miles
East Lansing, MI 48825
(517) 432-4675